I start by looking at the health of the whole body, as well as the mental and emotional aspects of your pet’s health. We must consider all aspects of health in order to create a comprehensive and effective treatment plan.
Every pet has unique biology, personality and lifestyle needs for optimal health. Is your pet on an appropriate diet? Does your pet get the right type of exercise and interaction for its breed and constitution? How is your lifestyle and stress level affecting your pet’s health?
This is not a magic-bullet approach. There is not a single diet, supplement, or treatment modality that will cure or prevent cancer. Just as there are many different factors that contribute to the development of cancer, there are many elements that will contribute to its resolution. This approach will require a commitment on the part of you and your family to help create a treatment plan for your pet. I will help guide you to make the best choices for the health of your pet.
In addition to supporting the healing ability of the body, we will use methods to slow the progression of the cancer that do not produce damaging side-effects. Although the methods I use may not be considered mainstream, they all have a sound scientific basis, along with proven clinical efficacy. Everything I do has been in use longer in clinical practice than the more common treatments such as radiation and chemotherapy.
My ultimate goal is to give your pet the best quality of life for as long as possible. This is a treatment progression that requires ongoing monitoring of your pet’s progress. There are variables that will affect the outcome, such as the age of your pet and the stage of disease at the time of presentation, and I can never predict exactly what the outcome of treatment will be. We will always work with you to help your pet, no matter where it is at.
The key elements of my treatment approach are:
- Proper nutrition The most important concept here is to feed a fresh, whole-food, species appropriate diet to your dog or cat. Going a step further, there was important work done by Dr. Otto Warburg in the early 1900’s that described cancer as a metabolic disease that is dependent on glucose for energy. This means that the fewer carbohydrates in the diet in the form of grains, legumes, fruits, and sugars, and the more fresh meat protein, organ meats, fat and bone, the less fuel the cancer cells will have for growth. The ketogenic diet is one that trains the body to burn fat instead of glucose and allows glucose levels to drop far enough to actually starve the cancer cells!
- Detoxification In order to effectively treat or prevent cancer, we must eliminate toxins that damage the cells in the first place, compromise the immune system, and influence gene expression. Feeding well-sourced, pastured animal products is an important start here. We must also look at water, chemicals in the home environment and where you take your pet for walks and other activities. Food dishes, toys and bedding can be laden with chemicals, as can the carpeting and furniture in your home. Electromagnetic frequencies from electronic devices have been proven to have damaging effects on the cells in the body. In addition to minimizing exposure to toxins, we will use herbal support to assist the body in eliminating toxins that may have already accumulated.
- Supporting the immune system The immune system is a bit of a buzz word, but is a very important part of the equation when it comes to addressing cancer. This is the mechanism in the body that is charged with eliminating abnormal cells before they can take hold and form into a more serious disease condition. The elements that we already mentioned, diet and detoxification will help out here immensely. In addition, there are specific supplements and treatments that will further enhance the function of the immune system.
- Inhibit the growth of cancer cells There are a number of options that will direct effects in slowing the progression of cancer without side effects. I will work with you to choose the option that is the best fit for you and your pet. These options include:
*Ozone therapy Both supports the body’s ability to heal, and creates an unfriendly environment for cancer cells.
*Herbs Most plants have inherent cancer-fighting properties as part of their own protective mechanism in nature. These can be used in the body to help slow the growth of cancer. I use a variety of Chinese and Western Herbal Formulas as tools in treating cancer.
* Essential oils These are specially processed distillates of parts of plants that extracts the natural oils. There are many oils that have been shown to have benefit in treating cancer.
* Bach Flower remedies Dr Edward Bach found that certain flowers are effective in treating the emotional component of disease. This is an important and often overlooked area of treating cancer in pets
*Cannabis The endocannabinoids in CBD oil have been shown to have direct cancer-fighting and anti-inflammatory affects. This is an exploding industry with a large degree of conflicting information. We will help guide you in choosing the product to best benefit your pet. From these many options, I will work with you to create a healing plan customized for you and your pet.
*Mistletoe This amazing plant has known cancer-fighting properties, including:
*Preventing tumor metastasis
*Causing cancer cell death
*Improve mitochondria health
*Reduces tumor blood supply
*Stabilizes health DNA
*Stimulates the immune system
*Increases interleukin 2
*Reduces side effects of chemotherapy and radiation
*Reduction of tumor-related pain
See my recent blog post for more information